Please try these things first:
- Please restart your copy of Analyzr or restart your Mac.
- Check Analyzr for any free updates and, if available, update to the latest free update.
- If a video file won't play, try to play the file in QuickTime Player. If it doesn't play there, it may be corrupt or incompatible. If QuickTime Player "converts" the video, save the converted video and import that, as the original will not play in Analyzr.
- Check the FAQ (below) to see if your question is answered there.
- Please make sure that Analyzr is listed and checked in "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" in any applicable categories, including:
- Files and Folders
- Screen Recording
- Contact us with your question or request. We'll get back to you quickly. In doing so, please follow these steps.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We hope that your experience with Analyzr is smooth sailing, but should you have a question, please refer to the questions and answers below. If you have a question that is not answered below, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.
Also, please note that the below is for Analyzr 3.0. If you are able to upgrade, please do, as we no longer able to support Analyzr versions 1 or 2.
General Usage Tips
Video Playback, Downloading, and Importing
- I have some movie files that won't play. What can I do to get Analyzr to play them?
- I can't download a video from youTube. What's up?
Demo Limits, Purchasing, and Licensing
- Is the demo download the same as the software I use after I purchase?
- I bought a license. What do I do with it?
- What are the demo limits?
- Can I get a trial license for a more thorough evaluation?
- What is your update and upgrade policy?
- Do you have any coupon codes or discounts?
- Can I get a refund?
- Who is Fastspring, and why did they charge my credit card?
Using the Software
- What is "Validate Analyzr Data…" and how do I use it?
- Do you have any tricks I might be able to use to impress my friends?
- Can I put my "Analyzr Data" file on an external drive?
Should I enable Do Not Disturb (DND) or Focus modes?
Analyzr automatically stops recording an analysis when you leave the application in an attempt to not accidentally capture personal any of your personal data (as it may be displayed in your other applications: Mail, Messages, Safari, your files, etc.). We also recommend enabling DND mode or Focus modes, though Analyzr tries to do this for you when possible:
- On Mojave (macOS 10.14) or Catalina (macOS 10.15), Analyzr will automatically engage Do Not Disturb mode.
- On Big Sur (macOS 11) you must enable DND mode yourself.
- On Monterey (macOS 12) we recommend enabling a Focus mode that's triggered when Analyzr is the active application.
I have some movie files that won't play. What can I do to get Analyzr to play them?
If you have a video file that does not play in Analyzr, try to play the video with the application "QuickTime Player." If the video does not play in QuickTime Player, it may not be supported by macOS. Check this page for the list of supported formats. If the file used to play on your Mac, but no longer plays, support for its file format may have been dropped in macOS Catalina (10.15). We have more information on this page.
I can't download a video from youTube. What's up?
First, please make sure that you are authorized to download the video per YouTube's Terms of Service.
If your URL looks something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/analyzrgolf#p/a/u/0/Zx0n-xf5Ne0, that's the URL to a "channel" instead of an actual video. Analyzr will respond by saying: "Analyzr was unable to download this video. There was a problem downloading the video. Please verify that the URL is correct or try again later."
The proper URL will look something like this:
https://youtu.be/Zx0n-xf5Ne0. If you right-click (control-click) on a video in a channel and click "Copy Link" (or your browser's equivalent wording), you should be able to paste that URL into Analyzr.
In version 3.0, we have the ability to independently update the video downloading component of Analyzr, and this is triggered the first time any day that you begin to download a video from the Internet within Analyzr.
Is the demo download the same as the software I use after I purchase?
Yes! The same demo application you download here above "unlocks" with the proper license. You will not receive a different application or download when you buy Analyzr, you will get a license file that unlocks the demo application you already downloaded.
What are the demo limits?
Both the Student and Pro versions share the same trial or demo limitations. First, the video viewers are lightly watermarked (black in Student and white in Pro). Second, you're limited to loading one video into each of the video viewers per launch. That's all! Other than those two limits, the application is fully functional!
I bought a license. What do I do with it?
First, and perhaps most importantly, make a backup copy of your license file. We cannot always guarantee that we will be able to retrieve or re-create your license file, so please make a backup copy and keep it safe. If you have a Gmail account, for example, you can simply email yourself a copy of the license file, always available to you in Gmail.
When you purchase a license, you will be able to download a license file from our site. The URL will be given to you both in your browser and one of the emails you get from us. If you've already downloaded and installed a demo copy of Analyzr, registering the software is as simple as double-clicking on the ".ah2license" (Student) or ".ap3license" (Pro) files that you downloaded.
Alternatively, you can choose "Register…" from the "Analyzr" menu and locate your license file.
Can I get a trial license for a more thorough evaluation?
Though we've strived to create a trial that's fairly non-limiting, we are happy to provide what we call an "expiring license" to customers interested in Analyzr Pro. These expiring licenses will fully unlock the software and remove the demo limitations mentioned just above, but will expire on a certain date. If you'd like to request an expiring license, please contact us and we'll do our best to get back to you quickly!
What is your update and upgrade policy?
All minor version updates within the same version are free. If version numbers are marked as x.y.z (i.e. 1.3.7), then all changes to the "y" and the "z" position are free. Upgrades from version to version (i.e. the "x" position) are typically less than 70% of the cost of the full version.
Do you have any coupon codes or discounts?
Yep! We have discounts for PGA members, students, and people who are willing to answer our survey: the first time you download our software, you're rewarded if you can spare sixty seconds of your time by filling out a quick survey. You'll get a unique coupon code that saves you 5% after you submit the survey to us. To inquire about other coupon codes, just give us a shout.
Can I get a refund?
Though we'll provide a refund in rare cases (i.e. you accidentally bought two licenses), our policy is that all sales are final. Because we offer a demo version for trials, and because we cannot revoke a license once generated, we hope you understand. Please make use of our demo versions and/or request an extended trial license before purchasing.
Who is Fastspring, and why did they charge my credit card?
Fastspring hosts the e-commerce portion of our site. They're a fast, stable, secure e-commerce website that lets us focus on making Analyzr as awesome as possible. In short, they handle all of the credit card processing for us.
What is "Validate Analyzr Data…" and how do I use it?
This feature is intended to repair databases in the rare (<0.1%) cases in which an Analyzr Database is corrupted and fails to show items that are included in the "Analyzr Data" file but which are not showing in the Library. If a movie exists on the disk but is not in the database (or, consequently, the Library), "Validate" will attempt to repair this. If a movie shows as existing in the database but is not on the disk, it will be removed from the database (and, thus, the Library).
Please use this feature only after being directed to do so by support or at your own risk. The vast majority (>99.9%) of databases function perfectly and will never need this feature.
Please be responsible and back up your data - including the "Analyzr Data" folder in your Documents folder, regularly!
Do you have any tricks I might be able to use to impress my friends?
We can't guarantee that you'll impress your friends (we assume you have the greatest of friends!), and many of these are common "tricks" on the Mac, but some you may not be aware of. We encourage you to explore the menus as they'll give you ideas about what the software can do.
- Hold down option while drawing with the line, arrow, rectangle, or oval tools to have them draw "out" from the center.
- Hold down command to toggle per-line or per-arrow whether the angle display remains on the screen (opposite of the menu option).
- Hold down shift while drawing with the line, arrow, or angle tools to draw on 45° angles. Hold down shift while drawing with the rectangle or oval tools to draw squares and circles.
- You can use the above keyboard shortcuts in combination, so shift-option with the oval tool will draw a circle outward from the center, for example.
- Double-click students, lessons, folders, or videos to edit their details.
- Double-click the ninth color to set your own custom drawing color.
- Become efficient with the keyboard shortcuts. You can switch tools with G (grabber) L (line) A (arrow) R (rectangle) O (oval) V (angle) S (scribble), change line thicknesses with 1, 2, 3, and switch colors with cmd-1 through cmd-9.
- When importing or editing video details, scrub your mouse to the left and right over the video to get a peek at the video's contents. This is helpful in deciding which of a student's videos you want to import.
- The filter bar at the top can filter any or all of the sections, and supports typing "DL" "FO" "OV" "RE" or "OT" to show videos of only a certain view. Typing "woods FO" will display all of Tiger's face-on videos (as well as anything else that matches), for example.
- "Mirror Display" in the "Window" menu can mirror the display on an external monitor or TV.
- The splitter in the middle can be dragged left and right. It'll snap to the edge once you hit about 30% width. It can be dragged in from either side.
- Similarly, you can expand, contract, and hide the library area as well.
- cmd-enter will "Import Selected," shift-cmd-enter will "Import All," and escape keys and other keys work where possible throughout the interface.
Can I put my "Analyzr Data" file on an external drive?
If you're familiar with the use of "Aliases" in macOS, you can easily move your Analyzr Data file to an external drive, to your Dropbox folder, etc. for various purposes. Simply move a copy (keep your original somewhere safe until you know it's working), make an alias with the proper name ("Analyzr Data" or "Analyzr Data.analyzrdata"), and put the alias in your ~/Movies folder. Analyzr should find the alias in your Movies folder and follow it to your actual Analyzr Data file.
Note: Putting your Analyzr Data file on a Dropbox or other cloud storage is unsupported. Many customers have no issues with this, and we do this ourselves, but you need to know what you're doing. Please do this only if you are confident of your computer knowledge.
Can I enable Documents in the Cloud (iCloud)?
If you are using Analyzr 1.x or 2.x, please do not enable Documents in the Cloud. Analyzr expects to have instant access to the multi-megabyte video files every time you wish to load a video, and expects the file to be on your hard disk for instant access. Analyzr 3.0 moves the "Analyzr Data" file to your ~/Movies folder, so users of Analyzr 3.0 should be unaffected by this setting.
How should I report a crash or a bug?
There's a saying in the software industry that "If we can reproduce the bug, we can fix the bug." In other words, we often need your help to reproduce a bug before we can begin to fix it. We will try to re-create the same situation and steps in which you experience the bug. Here is a step-by-step process that helps us to help you best:
- Write down the version numbers of Analyzr and macOS. Check for updates to either to see if you're running the latest version possible.
- Document the specific steps necessary to trigger the bug or crash. Number them. Think of this as a recipe - we need to be able to follow your "recipe" to bake the same "bug."
- See if doing something different - using a different file, accessing a feature a different way, etc. - causes a different result. If nothing else, you might have found a work-around while we fix the original bug, or you might find that the bug only occurs with files of a certain type (or something). It's valuable informaiton.
- If Analyzr crashes when you do something, click the "Report…" button in the crash dialog box and copy and paste all of that text in an email to us.
After you've written out the steps and, ideally, reproduced them yourself, contact us with the details.
P.S. If you missed out on getting the crash report above, you can get crash reports from your Mac by using Console.app. In 10.14, this applies. and in 10.15 you can launch "Console.app" and click "Crash Reports" to copy and paste the text from the Analyzr crash.